Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Mon, 03/15/2010 - 16:46
Since getting to RVOS, a lot of my focus has been on improving things. Improving the network (new APs, redundant switches), infrastructure downtime (40+ hours a week to <2hrs a week), improving applications (bugfixes on custom apps), and in general, the way business is done. Our intranet went live in Q3 of 2007, when "Drupal 6 was still -beta1":http://drupal.org/node/175832. Right after we went live, I tried to upgrade and failed miserably. Ultimately, the idea got pushed to the back burner over and over for several years until roughly 2 weeks ago. I figured this would be somewhat easy since most of the modules now have 6.x counterparts. This assumption probably would have been true if I was updating a simple Drupal site. However, Views, Panels, and all of our custom modules have been throwing me for a loop. Here's just a snapshot of what I've found so far:
- Upgraded Panels that had views had to be rebuilt after *cough* manually converting the Views. This doesn't bother me so much, but it's still painful on over 40 custom views.
- All of my blocks were automatically disabled after the upgrade.
- The groups part of "LDAP integration module":http://drupal.org/project/ldap_integration doesn't upgrade properly. The names of the columns in 5.x start with
ldap_groups_but in 6.x they start with
ldapgroups_. I'd work on a patch, but I'm just not sure how to actually 'rename' a column with the whole "Schema API":http://api.drupal.org/api/group/schemaapi/6 in Drupal 6.
- LDAP integration also breaks customizations. To do custom mapping of OUs to Roles, you had to edit a config file in the 5.x version. In 6.x, it's a configuration parameter in the admin area. That's actually great, but pretty much ruins any chance of automating it besides writing a custom module to stick that value in there (which I'm doing.)
- Errors, errors everywhere. Most of them appeared to be benign, but seeing several hundred errors flood out of an update script can be very unnerving.
- Running the update script felt like Windows Update. Had to re-run it five or six times before it finally got everything. Probably due to the above.